HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Camille Westmont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:26:20 -0400
Hello all,

Bettina Schulz Paulsson from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, and I are arranging a symposium for the 2019 SAA meeting in Albuquerque on symbols in heritage. We are particularly excited about the possibility of having a wide temporal and geographical spread of projects represented. If you are interested in participating, please contact me at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Bettina at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Convening Meaning: Symbols in Heritage
Symbols, by definition, represent concepts and ideas that transcend the objects themselves. From the pictorial to the monumental, symbols abound in prehistoric as well as in modern societies. Symbols also, however, can have their meanings change over time as new groups ascribe new meanings to old symbols. When symbols become incorporated as part of a community or a nation’s heritage, symbols can experience a variety of new interpretations. In this session, we explore how the meanings of symbols are created, established, and negotiated within a heritage framework. This collection of papers aims to address three primary questions: How are images and ideas transferred through symbols? What iconographic, semiotic and performative approaches are being used to understand the significance and function of symbols, past and present? How are symbols operationalized within a modern heritage framework?

Sincerely,
Camille

--
V. Camille Westmont, Ph.D. Candidate