From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:34:59 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Brood-wise and food-wise, they're doing fine and there is a field full
>of clover next door. Within a stone's throw of the hive, in the flowery
>field, is a pylon bearing electricity cables.  Would they be affecting
>the bees' temper?
>
>Chris

Don't really care how many studies have been done, seems like they at
times have a desired answer and seek the evidence to support it, skewing
the trial , perhaps unintentionally, in the process.

Bottom line is we have had lots of places near, beside, under, and above
power lines. ( the latter buried ones)

Mentioned too often before, one of the best places I have is actually
inside the square of the legs of a huge junction pylon carrying 330000V
lines you can hear buzzing in the right conditions.

Effect on the bees precisely zero. No change in temperament, no crooked
comb, no navigation problems, not abnormal loss of queens on mating
flights.

Under the sag on power lines half way between pylons is where you might
expect the strongest fields. Been in such places many many times. Again
no effect whatsoever.

Grumpy swarms are usually a function of the time it has been since it
exited parent colony (getting hungry?) and weather conditions when
trying to catch it. Almost any swarm can be mean if it has been hanging
around for a long time, and black bee ones seem most prone to this
behaviour. Pussycats when fresh, and probably will be again once their
food shortage is past.

--
Murray McGregor