From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:56:35 -0500
> Randy said:
> The point is, Bob, that a number of your conclusions simply don't hold
> water, any more than when you claimed that it was the new diesel fuel
> additive that was causing the collapse of hives when they arrived in
> Calif.

I am glad you quoted the hypothesis correct :except for me *claiming* the
new diesel fuel additive was  causing hive collapse when the hives arrived
in California instead of what I said which was a *possible connection*

The hypothesis was *first* started by a migratory beekeeper which is on the
executive board of the American Beekeeping federation in a conference call.
The hypothesis is based on the usual finding of the most dead hives on
arrival to be on the front of the semi load.

When our hives are loaded in Missouri the first night and every night until
the hives are unloaded the semi sits at a truck stop in which around a 100
trucks are sitting at idle. The air is thick with diesel smoke.

Few loads are driven straight through to California *in January*.(personal
experience).

These hives (our best hives) are packed with bees (crowded) breathing those
fumes before California and with the new additive while in California.
Different states have different additives.

Most cancer causing in mice. Gasoline has a cancer warning for fumes and on
skin. Look for the warning next time you pump gas placed on most pumps!

Most dead hives are found within the first part of the semi and many times.
With inexperienced drivers some beeks (not my people) allow the driver to
dictate the placement of tie downs and *if* in the wrong position lids will
come off under the net letting rain ,cold & fumes into hives.

So although Randy is entitled to his opinion and seems to think the
hypothesis is absurd many of the largest migratory beeks are not so sure!

One of those said that Randy should use the heading "California Beekeeping"
for his articles.

bob