Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 09:17:43 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
>Deer and moose collisions have become increasing night risk  Bug collisions, not so much.

Have you ever had an American Cockroach, Periplaneta americana, (AKA Palmetto Bug in Florida so as not to freak out the tourists that a giant cockroach is on their window screen), slam into your windshield at 70 mph?  They are about the size of a moose with slightly less mass (or else they could not become airborne).  Okay, maybe not that big, but dang, they are NOT small.

Since I made the above inane comment, I might as well add my own 'bug-splat-on-windshield-frequency-index' number to the mix.  I drive back and forth a lot in my F-150 from New Hampshire to New Jersey (New England to Mid-Atlantic region - Zone 5a - 6b/7a), about 250 miles each way, mostly Interstates and Interstate speeds.  This year my BSOWFI is significantly down from years past, I'd say about 50%.  The first half of the drive is through pretty rural country with forest or small farms - NH, Vermont, Western Massachusetts.  I would not expect to see the impact of Big Ag in that area.  So, if this change is real, could it be caused by something else, perhaps?  Some natural cycle in the Order of Things?  Or, OMG, more proof of global warming!!!  Certainly caused by me driving an F-150.  BAD human.

###################################
Bill
Claremont, NH
+43° 21’ 25”  -72° 23’ 01”
+43.35687     -72.3835
CWOP: D5065
Weather Underground: KNHCLARE3
HonetBeeNet: NH001

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at: