From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:46:33 -0800
50 for the Maine State Apiarist and 150 for his Inspectors. No number restrictions in PA. New Jersey restricts the Inspector to no pollination. Jerry Hayes, I believe, has instituted new restrictions on FL Inspectors. I don't know what other East Coast restrictions are, but SC and VA have full time state employees who do Apiary Inspections as part of their duties. Ohio used to do the same with 7 regional Inspectors, State Employeed, and 1 Inspector from each county or two, who were paid for by their County Extension System.

  So, there are various ways of setting up restrictions. It's just a matter of how important it is to the people of NY, the beekeepers of NY and the folks who control the monies at the Dept. of Ag & Mkts.

  New York State's Dept of Ag & Mkts has an Apiary Industry Advisory Committee. I wonder if they have solicited input from the state's beekeepers and if they have passed that input on to the Dept.?

  Mark