Gustav Styger wrote:

>I wonder, does anybody still compose Operetta?  And if not why not?

I don't know the extent to which operetta or something similar is
composed these days, but it's certainly down from earlier generations.
This is a musical form which probably doesn't play well in our complicated,
sophisticated, and "millions can die in a flash" modern world.  Actually,
a few "good" operettas would be an excellent antidote to the compositions
of John Williams, Tan Dun, and company.

Perhaps, pop music is the mass-appeal equivalent to operetta.  Beats me.
I've never cared much for the "lightness" of operetta or pop music.

Don Satz