From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: LoganPeds
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:27:08 EDT
Subject: Dr. Willam Carey's answer in Aug 99 issue
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Sirs:

I wish to comment on Dr. Carey's answer to the question about a 9 week old
infant who was not sleeping unless in contact with the mother found in your
publication in Volume 16, Number 8, Page 34.

I agree that making sure the infant was feeding well and gaining weight would
be important in the assessment.  I am also well aware of the AAP's
recommendation for infants to sleep on their backs to prevent SIDS, and
support back sleeping as the norm.

However, it is quite normal for infants to sleep with their parents.
"Setting limits" and enforcing separate sleeping in a 9-week-old makes no
sense.  Probably the majority of young infants in the world do sleep with
their mothers.  I would have asked the mother if she and the father slept
well with the infant in bed with them; if so, then there is no need to move
the baby to a crib.  The infant needs contact with her mother; this is normal
and desirable; the infant will merely transfer naturally and gradually to her
own sleeping space at a later date when she is ready to do so.

I would recommend that the mother try having the baby sleep on her back
beside her in bed and allow her to breastfeed ad lib during the night.  I
would also reassure the mother that this baby needs lots of physical contact,
that this is quite normal and desirable, and that pushing the baby to sleep
on her own will only make everyone miserable.  As long as mom, dad, and baby
are happy bedsharing, then it should be encouraged.  Giving the baby a gentle
massage prior to sleep might also help her to relax.

Dr. William Sears has written extensively on attachment parenting and the
family bed.  I would recommend that the mother of this infant read this
literature.

Sincerely,

Linda L. Shaw MD FAAP
General Pediatrics