Donald Scarinci:

>I have Bach's Mass in B Minor by Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony
>Orchestra and Chamber Chorus on the Telarc label.  Any thoughts on this
>piece?

Yeah.  It's great.  Shaw's happens to be one of my favorite recordings -
though not as favorite as the one he did way back when for RCA with the
Robert Shaw Chorale.  I especially like the way he uses, in effect, three
vocal ensembles: the soloists, the massed group, and the "concertato"
choir.  This gets a gorgeous variety of choral sound and it sets off
structure besides.

There are those who prefer a more "monumental" b-minor, but not me.  Those
recordings tend to remind me of elephants trying to make it through bogs.
To me, Bach dances, even here.

Shakin' awesome goo.

Steve Schwartz