Pat Reynolds wrote:

>What I remember reading is ... that in the inventories of some early
>settlement or settlements (?New England ?Plimouth Plantation), there
>were lots of references to 'looking glasses', which was a slang term of
>the time for chamber pots.

Try James Deetz, In Small Things forgotten: The Archaeology of Early
American Life, Anchor Books, Garden City, NY, 1977, page 10.

"Numerous listings of 'looking glasses' in inventories of
early-seventeenth-century Plymouth might lead the reader to believe there
was a good supply of mirrors.  While this is possible, we learn from the
Oxford English Dictionary that 'looking glass' was a common vernacular term
for chamber pot during the first half of the seventeenth century."

Hope this helps,

LJ Cook