John Lewis makes an interesting observation:

>On the Bakels, perhaps because the Bournemouth are a "second tier"
>orchestra, the strings actually have some attack to them and overall the
>orch doesn't sound like a big blended synth, something I felt Haitink and
>Slatkin were guilty of here.

As it happens a friend of mine played a passage from the Bakels Antarctica
and then an older performance on LP by, I believe, Boult.  The point was
to show that the Boult orchestra and sound was way superior.  And the point
was made - but I went away with the same feeling as Mr.  Lewis - despite
(or because of) its limitations the Bakels performance stood up very well.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University