Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:20:30 EDT
Sender:       Lactation Information and Discussion
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      sleeping through the night very early

In a message dated 4/29/99 5:02:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> While I don't have a research article, I do have practical experience in
this
>  matter.
>  My firstborn (1980) weighed in at 8pounds and slept through the night from
>  the age of 5 days.  It was relatively soon that she slept 12 hour nights.
>  But, she nursed all day long and slept very seldom during daylight.  She
did
>  sleep at bedside in a bassinett until 3 months, then mostly shared our bed.
>  She was a VERY high needs, high touch child when awake.
>
>  My thoughts are, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
>
>  tina
>  Ohio, USA

Well, for the vast majority of babies, going 12 hours without nursing within
the first few months could lead to a dehydrated baby and a mother with low
supply and/or mastitis. Since humans are biologically designed to nurse quite
frequently day and night in the first months, I would want to take a very
close look at any newborn choosing to go for stretches anywhere near that
long without nursing.

YMMV--

Katie Allison Granju
Knoxville, TN