Date:         Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:51:00 -0600
Sender:       Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Nipple Shield Use

     Another post on nipple shields.  During my 16+ years as a pp nurse I
HATED nipple shields.  Our unit stocked those old terrible rubber 21/2
inch long kind, and they were pulled out by a couple of offenders (catch
the br feeding crime thread?) routinely to solve any breastfeeding
problem.  They NEVER solved the problem, only made more, and if I had a
mother using one for my patient I always gently steered her away from the
shield and helped the baby latch on without it.
     While attending the 5 day UCLA class I saw the thinner, smaller
silicone shield.  And the JHL edition on nipple shields really made me
take a second look.  I have concluded that they can be useful for some
mothers, and though perhaps  while I am with her I can help the baby
latch on, I won't always be there, it will be another nurse or the mom on
her own.  The lactation program at my hospital has been up for about 18
months now and our policy is that any mom discharged using a nipple
shield will return with the baby for a weight check within 2-3 days and
then weekly as needed.  The moms are informed this is because of the
chance of lowered milk supply or lowered milk transfer with the use of
the shield, they are also told the shield is usually a temporary measure
to be used for a few days, weeks, or months. We are developing a
consent/teaching form. We keep the shields in our locked LC supply
closet.  So far we have had about 10-12 moms using a shield and not one
problem with a baby's weight gain.  Only one mom used the shield for
months and is still using it, and avoids the one LC who was pushing her
to get off of it.
       Recovering from end-of-vacation, back-to-work shock, after a
lovely week skiing with dh and the kids and hot tubbing/swimming every
night.  My genius hubby threw 5 snowsuits and assorted cold weather gear
into a huge clean plastic trash can, put it into the minivan and away we
went, just to Wisconsin, but sure was fun.  We also achieve genius status
at our house by the suggestion to order a pizza!!
      Susan Potts RN IBCLC   Minnesota

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]