David & Al

>serious attempts to hive ... understand that bumbles are
>superior pollinators vis-a-vis honey bees.
>
>I "think" that there has been some serious attempts along the
>same lines elsewhere in the past. Anyone know any more
>about this ?

        "Portable" bumble bee colonies are widely used in Europe for
pollination of  tomato crops grown in glasshouses. I believe the bumble
Queen is given a number of honey bee workers and food stores initially, in
order to let her get on with laying bumble eggs instead of foraging, as
would happen in the wild. The details are regarded as a trade secret by the
company which markets the bumble colonies for this purpose. I think the
system originated in Holland; it would be interesting if anyone has more
details.

John Burgess, Editor Gwenynwyr Cymru, The Welsh Beekeeper