Karl Miller wrote:

>I should interject that this particular arrangement was not very
>well done and was published under the title "Tchaikovsky's Pathetic
>Symphony."---no joke intended.

As a former band director I can also imagine what it sounded like, and
I grieve in Tchaikovsky's memory.  But for an amazingly large number of
people, this will be their only exposure to this work.  It's a lot like
piano transcriptions and rolls a century ago:  you listen to what's
available.  And don't neglect the kid, especially if you've got those
monthly payments to the local music store.

Greg Bright