Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Funny...  I'm starting to like Brahms' Symphonies but having trouble
>appreciating his piano pieces (it's not that I don't like them but can't
>figure out why they're great).

Here's where Idil Biret's transversal of the piano pieces on a very
economical Naxos set (12 CDs) enable Brahms to shine.  Naxos is an
inexpensive way to enjoy both the solo piano and the two piano concerti.
Even though I can't muster much enthusiasm for Brahm's symphonies, I do
enjoy his chamber works -- much of it also available in inexpensive sets,
especially 2-fers.  You can pay more, but you won't get much more delight
than these very good budget items.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco