From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: a true breastfeeding challenge
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:50:19 EST

Dear Lactnet Colleagues-
        I delivered a pump today to the hospital room of a mother who gave birth a
couple of days ago by cesarean.  The mother, father, and grandmother are all
developmentally delayed.  Significantly.  And the mother delivered premature
triplets.
        The insurance company is covering the pump rental, and "as many home visits
as I feel I need" to help with breastfeeding. (But who will do the laundry,
cook, read to these children, hold them in the night, .....other issues here.
Sigh)  Just explaining the use of the pump was challenging.
        Where do I begin?  What have you found helpful when working with
developmentally delayed mothers?  Has anyone worked with a mother of multiples
who is also developmentally delayed?  HELP!
        Thanks!
-Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC