From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re:  LLL
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:00:46 EST

After I posted, I had some doubts that I was very clear about my point, and I
guess I was not.  (First time jitters)  I think the first point is true--for
an organization to be effective, they need to know what the public thinks of
it.   If someone shuts down to what you are saying (and thus will continue to
think that there is something weird and perverse about a 3-yr old nursing)
just because you have mentioned LLL, well, it is a problem.  Okay, some people
is not the public, but I have experienced it from doctors and other
breastfeeding mothers, among other relatively "enlightened" types.

I've found myself playing down my connection to LLL in order to say what I
need to say and be heard.  It's tough enough without establishing an "us
against the world" persona that turns people off so they do not listen.

My other point. that they are more diverse than I always imagine, is really
where they shine...I am not an image consultant, but I think they could really
make themselves more appealing on this note.  Maybe I've come think too much
like a fundraiser (yikes!) but every piece one sends out is a chance for
educating, and LLL looks unappealing in a sort of outdated way.  A lot can be
done with new graphic design.

I speak as someone who works with chronically underfunded arts organizations,
so I understand the lack of funds issue.  As I've heard many Lactnetters say,
its baby steps that make the difference.  We can not ignore that the world is
changing--and is all change so bad?

You may think it is shallow to expect updated graphics to make a difference,
but think of how many "products" make themselves over to be the sexy thing,
and it works.  Breastfeeding is hip!  Why not?  Beat those d*mn formula
companies at their own game!

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my point,

Robyn