Hey friends,

What would  the staff writers  of Chicago Hope do if 1000plus lactnetters
wrote to express concern about an upcoming TV episode to be aired Oct 21st.
regarding a mother who, as it was quoted to me, "''''''starved her baby to
death'' by breastfeeding.  Could a proactive stance change the script?  I
really don't know  the story line, to be fair to them.  I was just asked by
the local affiliate to do an interview afterwards for the news.  I suggested
they also interview a mom I know who was one of the five who had their babies
readmitted in a cluster period six years ago for dehydration/hypernatremia,
with a 29 oz weight loss.  Her son is now thriving with no untoward sequela.
They agreed to interview her as well.  (she will also be sitting for her
boards soon!)
Drop Chicago Hope a line, encouraging them to act responsibly in their
portrayal.
PS  A neonatology fellow just told me that their board question for
breastfeeding was:  How do you tell if a baby is getting enough to eat at the
breast?  The answer:
pre and post feeding weights.  I guess now every mom is going to have to buy a
scale, huh.  Physicians, please write your examining boards...they could do
better, way better.
Chris
Cincinnati