Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:19:48 -0700
From: Julie Jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
To: Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ebm for upper respiratory infection

Hi Johanna:

I've also heard of and tried (with my son when he was nursing, and also
when he was about 4 yrs old and I was nursing my daughter) putting ebm
in ears for ear infections.  I think it probably helped.  Though now,
I'm a physician assistant and have looked in many, many kid's ears, I
think that it would probably work well for otitis externa (infection of
the ear canal) and not really do anything for otitis media (infection of
the middle ear and tympanic membrane).  However, your post reminded me
about using ebm in these ways and I'm going to suggest it next time a bf
infant or child comes into my clinic with an eye, nose or ear
infection.  Trouble is, they are usually so healthy when breastfed that
I don't see them.  Just the poor bottle babies.

Julie Jarvis RPA-C
mailto:[log in to unmask]