June 21, 1998
<<  I have said it before and I will
 say it again - if you are not IBCLC you should call yourself something
 other that Lactation Consultant.  I don't care how good or bad you are at
 what you do, the term should be reserved for those who have passed the
 exam.  >>
 As you can see I am behind in my digests but I needed to reply to this
 Strange I have a certificate on my wall that states that I have passed the
UCLA Lactation Consultant's Training Program.  Somehow I am proud of that
certification from a prestigious institution and feel that I am a Lactation
Consultant.  I received that certification in 1984.  I continue to read,
attend conferences and read lactnet.  I usually have been a member of ILCA but
I think my membership has expired, as I am missing my journal.  My husband
does bills and sometimes my professional dues are ....  I want to be IBLC but
I want it to mean something.  I thought the UCLA certification would, but no.
I want a license, I have a license - actually two ---to teach (a credential)
and no one questions it.  I have a masters and no one questions that, but they
sure question that I am not a licensed health professional, when it comes to
Lactation Consulting.  When IBLC also means a license then I will sit for the
exam because it will mean something to the powers that be, the medical
community and the insurance companies.
Thank you for allowing me to vent,  Camille