I was on Lactnet about a year ago and just got back on...
I've been a La Leche League Leader for almost 20 years and write for some Canadian magazines, mostly about parenting (and any breastfeeding stuff I can get in).

I also work as a doula. This morning I was up at the local hospital in Labour and Delivery and went into the nurses' lounge (which is where I keep my coat, purse, etc. while I'm with a labouring mother and also where I get drinks, etc.) and noticed an article from a magazine posted on the bulletin board for the nurses to read.

The article - and I couldn't tell what magazine it was - was criticizing the recommendations that babies be breastfed exclusively for six months and on to twelve months, saying that even with "extensive support, commitment and coaching" it was simply too difficult, often painful, and "psychologically depressing" for most women to breastfeed "so long." (Since I spent more than twelve continuous years breastfeeding, I almost wanted to laugh!) The author quoted one woman as saying "I just think I'm too evolved for this." (And what does this make breastfeeding women?) The author felt that too much pressure was being put on women to reach these unrealistic goals.

The content of the arcticle was bad enough - but why was it posted in the nurses' lounge? No wonder breastfeeding so often seems to be undermined. I didn't mention it to any of the nurses there, partly due to lack of time and partly due to not wanting to argue with anybody when I'm supposed be there providing labour support. But it continues to bother me.

Teresa