Anne Merewood

Hi,

I wanted to reply to your post about teaching teens.  I have been
doing it for about four years.  I usually start of by showing a
picture of an orangutans and her baby.  I ask them how they think she feeds
her baby.  They usually reply appropriately.  Then I ask what if she didn't
feel like feeding her baby?  What if she thought, "I am to busy to feed my
baby." or "There must be a better way to do this" What do you think would
happen to her baby if she chose to take the baby to be fed by a cow?  From
there I explain how each species has special milk for its babies and that
humans milk is special for human babies. I ask what species they think
would have milk close to human milk and when we get ape, I ask why do you
think we chose a cow?  We then go on a play a game with breastfeeding
facts- that include things like sagging breasts, breastfeeding in public,
world duration of breastfeeding and how breastfeeding feels.

Heidi C. Lunn, M.S., I.B.C.L.C.
WIC Breastfeeding Program Administrator
LLL
Miami, FL