Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:16:01 -0600
From: curtis spacek <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: simulated tropics above lattitude 35

This was an interesting post as I have never heard of anyones hives
being invaded by african bees.Here along the upper Texas coast we've had
reports of ahb's attacking people who inadvertently disturbed the hive
by mowing too close to old barns or sheds which were chosen by the bees
for a nest site.Two men were stung badly while clearing brush from
around an old building in the Houston area.The point being ahb's are not
at all common and between limitations due to climate and our ever
present line of defending mites the ahb seems to have moved as far north
as they're going to.
    I have a yard at the coast where 11 hives in which the queens were
superceded have nasty dispositions but the other 15 with italian queens
ordered from a supplier are generally mild tempered.These are all yellow
in color like original queens.I doubt seriously this temperament problem
is due to queens mating with ahb drones it is more likely that the
queens'were hybred and the traits didn't carry to the next generation.
   I frequently travel the ahb trap line and have yet to see any bees in
any traps.I would be interested in the actual numbers of ahb colonies
taken from any of these traps vs.the number of local swarms caught.As I
understand the program all bees caught in these traps are killed and
examined for african traits or genes.
    Imho the ahb ordeal is blown way out of proportion probably due more
to Hollywood than anything else.The people of south america seem to have
adapted and are raising bees,african or not,and exporting tons of honey
to the USA.If ahb's are more productive than their american counterparts
as was intended in the original breeding program then maybe  instead of
fighting them we should utilize them or their favorable genetic traits.
     2 frosts this year and no freezing temps may make for an excellent
harvest this year.bees already filling combs with 9 hives ready for
supers in the 2nd week of feb.its strange but we will go with the
flow.Btw my bees collected pollen all winter and had brood all winter!
Wintered in double deeps full in the fall with honey and pollen and
they're building up nicely and are refusing the 50/50 sugar water that I
put out for them 2 weeks ago.they haven't even touched it(open feeder)