Re John Lewis's query on hive construction.

I use masonite under my lids which are then in turn covered by a metal cover.
Those famous Aussie migratory lids.  No problems.

Re your treated timber, I would try to find out what it was treated with
first.  The CCA treatments contain arsenic which will probably leach the
arsenic although it is in a fairly insoluble form.  The treatment could be PCP
(pentachlorophenol) which is not good to have in bee boxes.  It may only be
something like methyl bromide which was used as a borer treatment.  As I say,
find out what it is and advice can be given from there.

There are many timbers which occur naturally in Fiji which wuld be
good for hive construction.  There is a kauri pine (Agathis sp.) which would
be very good from a weight point of view and workability but it is not
naturally durable.  You could treat it with copper naphthenate to preserve it.

Hope this helps.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA