Dear Opal Horvat,
I would like to pose a question about how much a lactation consultant
should charge.  I am in the process of recommending charges for the
mothers who use the outpatient lactation services in my hospital.  At this
point of time, they are charged for using the clinic at S$60/- per hour
including GST.  If they request a home visit, they are charged S$75/- per
hour.  If they rent a breast feeding equipment, they are charged S$12/- per
week.  What do you think is a reasonable fee?  I have made new proposals-
to charge everyone a flat  rate of S$45/- per hour (whether they deliver
their babies at my hospital or not) and a pro-rated charge of $1/- for every
minute up to $40/- per hour.  This has been quite a difficult issue as I know
of another private hospital whose breastfeeding advisors charge $S30/- per
session ( not specifying the time taken).   I would appreciate it if those of
you who are charging mothers for their services would advise on this issue.
Doris Fok,
lactation consultant,
K.K. Women's and Children's Hospital