Hi Joy
First I am sorry if two post are sent, I accidently pushed the wrong key.
Bacteria enters the body from a damaged nipple through the blood supply not
the milk supply.  I agree there are moms who have an inflamation and if
agressively treated with rest, frequent empting, reducing plugged ducts,ect.,
she may get by without antibotics.  But ... if she developes a fever and flu
symptoms, she needs antibotics added to the treatment.
If a mom has damaged nipples I like to use Bactroban on them to help with the
healing and hopefully prevent a mastitis.

Ann Perry RN IBCLC