Subject: Prolactin induced migraine

TO Joanne and all

>I have read with interest the post on prolactin induced migraines.  I
>have some questions for consideration.
I can only speak for my client so I will try to answer all your questions.

>Was there a history of migraine prior to this 4th baby for either
>Anne Andis or Jan Aken's clients?
MY client (Jan Aken's) did not have headaches during this pregnancy nor did she
have headaches with any of her previous pregnancies or during the time she
breastfeed her other children.

> Has either mother had a return of menses?
 No,Not to my knowledge.

>Was there any history of miscarriage prior to this fourth baby for
>either mother? (suggesting possible hormone deficiency)
No

>I wonder if someone should be looking at progesterone levels instead
>of prolactin levels. Or better yet look at both!
I don't know if they looked at the progesterone level.

>Weaning may not produce a reduction in migraines.
My client did not wean but at 4 weeks PP the headaches began to come less
frequent and decrease in intensity.

>Has either mother considered  dietary changes that may help.  Foods
>that might not have been a problem in the past could now be a part of
>the problem.
Yes my client did change her diet after reading of foods that might exacerbate a
migraine. It did not help

>Migraines at night are usually worse because, for many people,
>migraines are worse when you lay down.
But the migraines were not worse during the day when she was lying down.

>I too would want to see the proof from this neurologist that
>prolactin was producing the headaches.  What kind of permanent
>disability was he talking about from persistent migraine?  A second
>opinion is needed. Bring on another neurologist and get an
>endrocrinologist involved to look at the complete hormone picture.
My client was not told  she would have permanent disability from the migraines.
 Her  neurologist  did not say  the headaches were prolactin produced. It was
the conclusion that my client and I came to after a couple of weeks of the
headaches. As I said in an earlier post on lactnet I can't say   for certain
that the migraines were prolactin headaches but everything sure pointed in that
direction. I believe she did see an endrocrinologist at some point during the
course of the headaches, without any conclusions on how to help the migraines.
However it was suggested she stop breastfeeding to  which she quickly said NOT.
She  "toughed" it out and as I said at about 4 weeks the migraines changed and
by 6 weeks they were continuing to decrease and now at about 4 months she has an
occasional migraine. Yes she is still breastfeeding and plans to return to work
next month.

She did take Imitrex  for her migraines , yes the medication helped the
migraine.
.

So again I ask my 1200 close friends what do you think? It sure sound like
prolactin had a lot to do with these headaches. Several of you have e-mailed me
privately to confirm my thinking.

Jan Aken
mailto [log in to unmask]