Jan, regarding your mom with long nipples and baby with short tongue.  It is
interesting that the first baby also had difficulty getting the wieght gain
going.  I am a true believer that mother nature will prevail and this baby
will learn to compensate this nipple. I would encourage her to keep trying
the baby at the breast along with the  alternate massage and the back up of
sup. feedings with her expressed milk.  I have a coworker who has a baby with
a short tongue, mom flat nipples and using a nipple shield.  The baby is
gaining but mom has to work to get baby on shield.

Ann Perry RN IBCLC
N.Andover, Ma.