>From:    "Jessica Donahue,RN." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: sore nipple only when pumping>a mom complains of  pain after
pumping only on the right nipple.  feedings are painless.  she says that her
nipples look purple after pumping but only the right one hurts.  describes
the pain as a pain and burning.  ? thrush but only on one side and not with
feeding only pumping.

Yeast would not be a first suspicion as usually moms describe burning and
pain on pumping and nursing.
I would start by asking  !. What kind of pump?  We all know that some pumps
require the mom to cycle the suction but often the mom doesn't cycle
appropriately (or at all)
2.  Does the flange fit or does the nipple bounce all around inside the top
of the flange?
3.  Does she know to lubricate the flange before she pumps?  I usually
recommend  massaging the breasts and expressing a few drops onto the flange
before she starts.  IFf she can't or wont  water, olive oil or even Lan...oh
 could be used.  I've seen nipples that look absolutely horrible from being
dragged across dry plastic!!
4.  If she's using a high quality double pump with suction adjustments she
may just need to back off the suction lever.
Hope this can help her.  Glad she called for help before giving in!!
If you have a nipple-flange mismatch problem  there are many options
available.
Liz Flight, RN, CLE, IBCLC