One has to wonder how strongly the rule was followed.  Diaries have many
references to consumption of alcoholic beverages... I just read one last
night about a family at Winter Quarters  (1847) giving the children "spiced
wine" for a cold.  The sites show lots of beverage bottles as well.  Hey...
my ancestors got this "Thou shalt not kill" commandment handed down from
a prophet but ancestral sites are bound to yield a lot of material culture
expressly for that purpose.

"Prophecy:  The art and practice of selling one's credibility for future
delivery."  - Ambrose Bierce