Elizabeth,
Recently on the news here (Arizona) there was a case where a woman who
tested positive for alcohol (as did her baby daughter) shortly after
labor/delivery was charged with child abuse.  Unfortunately, I can't
remember if she was just charged or was actually convicted.  Maybe some
Lactnetter out there can provide more details of this case?

Kimberly Elms
Arizona State University
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove...
But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a
child.