Here in the Chattanooga, TN area,  we have fore than enough yellow jackets.
 Anyone who feels the need,  feel to gather as many as you like.  I got one
swarm call this year that turned out to be the biggest Yellow Jacket nest I
have ever seen.  There were so many coming and going that it did appear to
be a honey bees nest from a distance and the home owner didn't want to get
close.

I have seen one of the large European Yellow Jackets, if that what it was,
It was carrying a locust and went under my sister-in-laws house.

Frank Humphrey