>Anyone have a reference for age of weaning in Western industrialized
nations?  I have always seen 4 years but I was asked for a literature
reference.

In a recent Mothering Magazine, there was a WHO reference cited for a
woldwide weaning age of 4+ years.  Kathryn Dettwyler has a reference
putting it at 2.8 years, either in Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives,
or in an article referenced on her web site:
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope this helps you find what you're
looking for.

Katherine, apprentice midwife (and nursing mom) in Portland, Oregon

Katherine, Scot, and Torin Woods-Eliot   [log in to unmask]

All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare - Benedict de Spinoza