As this fascinating thread has developed I have a few thoughts to share.
 It may be worthwhile looking for papers by Elena Salariya.  She is a research
midwife who did a lot of work on early feeding patterns.  I think a paper was
published in Lancet in late 70's.  More recently she has done work on changing
stools, jaundice.  Can't remember if this has been published, have a feeling it
has. Something she quotes, and I have adapted, is the size of a newborns
stomach.  I think 10ml is what she quotes - I reckon the size of a walnut.  She
is very strong on the potential danger of feeding bottles of 30 ml (1oz?) or
more in delivery room.

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland