I have definitely seen a connection between circumcision and breastfeeding
problems, and I think it is worse when done in the first 24 hours. I think
the problem may be related to breastfeeding causing urination (as it
frequently does) so that the baby associates nursing with the pain of
urinating on his sore penis. I often see the baby start to nurse, then pull
away, clearly upset, when he pees. Sometimes nursing the baby without a
diaper (just lay a diaper or towel underneath the baby instead) is more
comfortable.

Teresa Pitman
LLL Leader, Oakville, ON