Janet,

Don't want you and your friends dying of curiosity re: MSUD. It stands for
Maple Syrup Urine Disease, an inborn error of metabolism. To "quote" my
©1972 textbook on nursing & nutrition (can you believe I've kept it):

This disease... so called because of the odor of maple syrup of the urine.
Infants can't metabolize the three-branched chain amino acids - leucine,
isoleucine and valine. The symptoms develop a few days after birth, and
babies die with severe neurologic symptoms and high levels of unmetabolized
amino acids in the body fluids.

Hope this helps!
Diana Dietz, RN, BSN