Janet,
I too believe in nipple confusion, but I think the crucial time is within the
first few days of life. By two weeks many babies are firmly established at
breast. I also agree that not every baby gets confused. Some can go back and
forth, breast and bottle right from the beginning. I'm also seeing older
babies(4 to 6 months) who develope preference to the bottle and wean
prematurely, much to mother's distress. One mother was told she had to start
giving her baby a bottle or he would refuse to ever take one. She started
giving one bottle a day and gradually he started refusing the breast. I'm
wondering about suggesting cup feeding for these older babies. Does anybody
have experience with this.
Marilee Woodworth