Use of smokers is not allowed in the forest areas where we take our bees
in the summer for the fireweed honey crop. Being reluctant to use aerosol
'smoke bombs', I put sacking in my smoker and dampened it with carbolic
acid at the dilution used for the old-fashioned 'bee cloths'. While this
was a bit less effective than a normal smoker, the bees did pay attention,
e.g. one could clear them away from any required part of the comb surface.
Having the use of a familiar aid was very convenient, even though it was
less effective than normal.

Falconer Henry
email: [log in to unmask]