Hi all !

On 19-Sep-1994 I wrote ...

>> A last word : pay attention ... if a few hives are infected, then ...
>> all your hives are infected !

and on 3-Oct Adrian commented ...
> Um, I don't have varroa, and I hope I never will, after all, they
> havn't reached this continent yet, but I thought that it was not a
> good idea to treat for mites unless their presence was confirmed.
...[short cut]
> ....  I know that the spread of bacterial and viral problems is
> controlable through good management...can mites be contained the same
> way???  Just curious.
> Adrian.

Adrian, you are right !  Don't matter about varroa unless this mite is
confirmed in your country.

Moreover, don't _treat_ against varroa unless it is find in your
country close to your hives location(s) (30-50 km).  In this case (2-3
years, then treat each year) you must try to _detect_ varroa infection : i.e.

1/ use a varroa grid under the brood to detect natural dead varroas and/or

2/ use apistan strips in one tenth of the hives during only one week (a real
  treatment requires 6-8 weeks) immediately after the last summer crop.
  A varroa grid helps the detection !  When Varroa is detected : treat the
  whole apiary.

Hope this help !

Jean-Marie <[log in to unmask]>

Local blooming informations ...
Long. : 4deg 56' E - Lat. : 50deg 30' N  -  Alt. : 200 m  -  North sea : 200 km

The last summer crop is terminated for end of July ... Honey in the jars ...
Some bees come back with pollen ... that's all ...