I have started to call breastfeeding the low hanging fruit of healthcare. It seems to be so much easier to blame breastfeeding than actually explain a diagnosis correctly, or look at the research to determine best practice.

I recently had a mother with postpartum psychosis, and she called me to explain that it was breastfeeding that was the trigger for the psychosis. I know that she hadn't misunderstood what she was told, because I was with her in the ER when any number of staff told her this same thing. I guess trying to explain the real cause of illness in the postpartum period, or how breastfeeding might really affect your body in the case of underlying disease just takes too much time, and it is so much easier to say, "well, it must be the breastfeeding, because really, it's such an unnatural process, it must be dangerous enough to kill you"

Sonya
Sorry, feeling very frustrated with the system today, the brick wall I keep banging my head on seems to have dented my head a bit

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome