>Just wants to get a patent on something important.

Of course, I agree with your position.  I looked past the ridiculous patent claims into the possibility that, at some future date, modifying a bacteria to do some good work is valid.  Beyond just wanting to patent something important, I think the person that filed, who is an attorney from Colorado with a microbiology pedigree, is actually positioning himself to litigate in some future patent lawsuit, which by the way, litigation of patent violations is a specialty of his.  All speculation on my part but my cynical side sees this effort like a tick questing for a future host.