> If autumn dearth is the trigger then hives fed in fall  would seemingly
> collapse even more in Jan time frame??  a bit contrary to ground reality.
try to explain a bit better,  in the midwest cold areas,  should we cause a delay in winter bees by feeding pollen subs in Oct,  then we would never actually get the winter bees.  suspecting that said hives would then be full of young,  but not winter bees. in Jan which in theory would cause a large die off when the actually cold stops brood rearing. Just a theory.
Understanding that if you moved the hives south to Fla or Ca and avoid that long clustered time,  then new brood would be generated and avoid the issue.
The reason it comes to discussion is that we have been trying to move bees to CA later (Now actually) so that the bees A: experience a winter shutdown,  which sometimes does not happen if we move too soon,  and B: to avoid the need to feed and prevent robbing in Nov.    Our experiences so farIf you move bees into CA in Nov.  we find if you feed to much they back-fill,  and if you don't feed they get real robby and the smaller hives are in serious jeopardy.
So one theory we are trying is to leave them in the snow till Jan when we can bring them in and feed to our hearts content.
As opposed to  feeding pollen sub hard starting right at fall shutdown and continuing thru feb.
Charles