> Re Peter's question, my understanding is that foragers do not directly
deposit nectar into the combs, but rather must first pass it to a mid-aged
bee, which then carries it to the combs.

I think that is generally accepted; my question was whether the nectar is passed from a bee below the excluder, through the excluder, to a bee above rather than being carried through the excluder.   That would suggest less traffic through the excluder and would perhaps make its design less important.

Best wishes

Peter