I wonder if colony survival is the same as 'most profitable practice.' Can
the advantage of newly drawn foundation that results from feeding syrup pay
for dead outs? Can increased brood stimulated by protein supplementation
bring in more revenue from bee sales and honey production sufficient to
offset increased colony loss?

Jon,  that's an easy answer... yes... its why 1000's of honey producers do
it.  We do suspect and know that HFCS and or sugar or protein are not the
"best" for be longevity.  What  is never taken into account is starvation.
Not seen any published reports,  but I have a hunch its really bad for bees.

Randy did a nice article for ABJ (and its on his site) about feeding patties
up for early brood for ammonds. Its field realistic.  Its why many of us
keep bees,  for AG use.  Which means we steal the honey and replace it with
lower cost HFCS.  Honey is 3.00 a pound  if the "average" uses 60lbs of
honey  that's 180.00  and you still have the "normal" 20% loss (after they
eat the honey of course) so you need 220.00 on average to get your bees thru
winter on honey.   Packages are roughly 90.00 (depends on qty of course)  so
simple math says let them starve.
Replace that with HFCS  60lbs is roughly 15.00  add in a pollen patty or two
and round it up to 20 bucks to try to overwinter.

That's still leaving out the need for early bees for pollination, or the
increase yields from early buildup.  I don't do that so I cant do the math
well  but assume a little feed means 20% more bees and you will be close.
How healthy are those bees?  Well  they make money  that's the end answer.

We have two divergent groups in beekeepers.  Those in it for a business,
and those who only want the best for their bees. The real challenge I am
finding is striking a balance.  Neonics are a perfect example also.  Yup
there bad for bees if the eat them.  But whats worse IMO is the generic
spraying that preceded them.  It's a balance.

Genes research just showed that  the genome reacts differently for HFCS or
sugar than honey.  Its good research,  but many are reading in to it what
they want to.  Of course the bees react differently,  just as your body will
react differently to a salad, or a steak. Which is best?  Is one deadly?
And at what levels?  I think there was a girl that died from a month
straight of chicken mcnuggets. Yet a few now and then don't seem to be a
long term health issue.

Its all the balance.....

Charles