> Does anyone know why they'd be so cranky at my mere presence, even 10 feet from them?
Could it be you misread their temper?  Did they buzz you with
aggression or were they merely flying around a dark moving object.
Sounds like they were behaving normally on one of the first warm
spring days and the beekeeper overreacted.

In IT there is a saying commonly shouted out from the help desk:
"PICNIC!"  It stands for, "Problem In Chair, Not In Computer!"

Aaron Morris - thinking spring!