Matt,

Please don't forget that an awful lot of horses (on the hoof) were
butchered.  By the turn of the century, the National City (East St. Louis,
IL) stockyards had a DAILY capacity to slaughter 3,500 horses and mules,
and in 1904, 700,000 horse and mules were processed through just this
facility.  I would assume that similar processes occurred with recently
deceased horses in at least more urbanized settings, with the "knackerman"
hauling many away for commercial disposal.

Mark
___________________________________

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historical Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Prairie Research Institute
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 217.549.6990

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."  Mongo.