Thank you for all the advice.  In my mind I had already decided to slowly build stocks, eventually purchase land and continue to do it as a sideline to a full time job for some time.  I calculated the estimated time requirements for large stocks of hives, costs, etc... (of course, from an outside of the business perspective) and I don't think I would want to manage over 1000 hives.

I have the advantage of already working a full time physical job that also aids in my hobby pursuit, so I am not unfamiliar to long days of physical work.

My dozen hives are all ready for winter and I'll be building at least six more hive boxes this winter to try my hand at catching swarms and splitting stocks in the spring, although I admit to a lot of nervousness at trying to box a wild swarm!