When we did extensive work with the beekeeping clubs of the Seattle area,
we saw a full range - from a hermit who barely talked to anyone to community
 leaders.  One point of note - in the Seattle area we found a large number
of aeronautics engineers from Boeing.  Not sure if that was simply because
of the presence of Boeing - and as such an artifact of employers, or
whether  engineers who were involved with flight found additional interests in
flying  insects.  Jerry