It's worth asking whether you are starting at normal.  This is not to say
that probiotics are the right intervention in any particular situation, but
when mom's gut and/or baby's gut are compromised, that's just not normal,
however commonplace that may be.

Further to Gina's thoughts - I wonder if transmission of maternal bacteria
to the baby occurs not necessarily through the mother's milk, but through
grooming and play behaviors that might be more common in a nursing dyad than
a non-nursing mom and baby - e.g. letting the baby put his/her fingers in
mom's mouth while nursing.

-Rosemary McNaughton, LLLL
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA