Karen
I have seen that article. Good research by some good researchers!
In the article it mentioned SIBB (suboptimal infant breastfeeding behavior)
equals IBFAT score less than 10 for the breastfeeding in first 24 hrs. Was
this scored on any ONE breastfeeding session during the first 24 hrs? (Or
was baby at 24 hrs old?)  If ANY feed, then if baby breastfed very well soon
after birth, then slept a fairly long stretch, he would not be considered a
suboptimal breastfeeder. So he would be at no greater risk if he had 2 or 3
good feeds in first 24 hrs, than a baby who had 8 good feeds in 24 hrs on
that first day. I think this is provided he was feeding quite well on later
days, which is what the original poster (from New Zealand, I think)  was
talking about.

lost 8% in 24 hrs and mom's milk is not in: my question is do you mean the
FIRST 24 HRS, because mom's milk wouldn't be in, and I don't think I've ever
or maybe very rarely seen a baby who has lost 8% in the first 24 hrs. For a
baby who has lost 8% at discharge, say day 2 or 3, and whose mother has a
very low supply at that point, and no signs of it increasing, I would advise
supplementation at breast and a 24 hr followup. If there are signs that the
supply is starting to increase, then I would likely advise very frequent
feeding and a 24 hr followup, and teach mom indications to use
supplementation, i.e. very low output or very unhappy baby, or lethargy.
Hope this helps.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC